Philadelphia Animal Hospital is in search of our next Veterinary Technician and Surgical Technician
We are looking for enthusiastic, professional associates with exceptional service-oriented people skills, positive attitudes, and upbeat personalities to fill two different full-time roles at Philadelphia Animal Hospital, located 3 miles from Philadelphia International Airport.
Candidates should be able to take charge, offer direction, and multi-task in a consistently busy, team-oriented environment. Technicians should arrive, ready to work in our high-volume, small-animal general practice. We are looking to hire a competent veterinary technician to provide compassionate patient care and positive client experiences. The veterinary technician will provide critical care nursing, triage patients, coordinate their care, and provide them with care before and after surgery by taking their vitals, performing phlebotomy duties, and providing intramuscular (IM), intravenous (IV) and subcutaneous (SQ) injections. You will discuss treatments and disease processes with clients, systematize and track patient diagnostics, and communicate with clients, veterinarians and pharmacies regarding patients’ needs.
To ensure success in this position, you need to be meticulous and compassionate to provide patients with the highest level of care. Preferred applicants are motivated, empathetic and detail-oriented.
We are looking for candidates with 3 – 5 years experience in carrying out Veterinarian’s instructions, communicating with the team and with our clients about care, collecting and preparing laboratory samples, radiology, use of computers and preparing prescriptions. This technician will advocate for pets, educate clients, assist in maintaining medical records, and be willing to guide and teach new Veterinary Tech Assistants.
Veterinary Technician Responsibilities:
- Triaging patients and taking their vitals, and acquiring patient history and other information from clients.
- Assisting with diagnostic procedures.
- Discussing treatment plans and estimates, and payment options with clients.
- Acquiring cephalic, saphenous, and jugular blood samples.
- Inserting IV catheters, and monitoring anesthesia, ventilators, and fluid therapy.
- Operating autoclaves
- Processing specimens in the in-house laboratory and submitting specimens to outside laboratories.
- Calculating medication dosages, and providing dosage instructions for clients.
- Entering patients’ service charges into the computer database and keeping accurate patient records.
- Explaining patient instructions to clients and sharing educational materials.
Veterinary Technician Requirements:
- 3-5 years of work experience as a veterinary technician.
- Proficient computer skills.
- Excellent communication skills, both verbal and written.
- Strong affinity for animals.
- Outstanding people skills.
- Ability to multitask in a dynamic environment.
- Undeterred by being scratched and bitten by patients.
Additional experience required for the Surgical Technician Position includes (but is not limited to) running anesthesia machines and having a great working knowledge of anesthesiology, monitoring surgical patients, placing catheters, lights dental work, assisting with c-sections, spays and neuters, and familiarity post-op care.
Veterinary Technician Certification or Licensure not required for either position.
The right candidates will be hard working and have a strong interest in high-quality traditional medicine.
Occasional evenings and weekend days required, however there are no overnight or emergency shifts.
PAH is open 7 days a week and is fully equipped with in house lab equipment, well-stocked pharmacy, ultrasound, digital radiology and on-site pool for therapy and recreation.
Philadelphia Animal Hospital has been a family-owned business for more than 30 years, and offers a friendly team-environment and autonomy for doctors away from a corporate structure.
– Employee discount
– Paid Time Off
– Continuing Education
– Dress Code wardrobe pieces
– Healthcare / Dental / Vision Offered
– 401k Match
Candidates interested in either position should send their resume to email@example.com